My Mom's Doing...

So after many months of blogging about cooking, my mom finally reads it! Not only does she read it, she gets inspired, and decides to blog/email about her latest cooking!  She decides that she should be a guest blogger.  (I'll add the photo tomorrow, my internet is too slow here...)

I think, you all need to understand where I come from.  So, here it is! Picture included (and BTW, I'm the one that first found and gifted those bowls to her! See the kitchen stuff goes both way!)

Momma's Fall Soup (I took the creative license to reformat your recipe, Mom, since this is my blog. We do things a little different in these parts. I'll leave in your commentary, however...)

Ingredients:
small amount of garlic (from local csa)
(3) tiny red onions (from local csa)...any color will do...my mom says the red ones are "like gold" [my grandmother, and she did say that. Twice. At least.]
(2) chicken breasts (from yard) chopped
(1) leek
(2) turnips (from local csa) cut to look like potatoes (so Jack can't tell what they are)
some celery
some thyme
(3) bay leaves
some carrots
a bunch of assorted small potatoes, all colors including purple (from local csa) cut in small pieces
white wine
chicken stock - maybe 6 cups
some corn frozen from the summer (farmers market - Arnold Farms)
some cut cabbage - (from local csa) I like strips


With medium-high heat, warm olive oil in bottom of pan.  Add the garlic, onions, and chicken [if you don't have chicken running around your yard, it's ok if you buy one from the store. I won't tell.]. Cook a few minutes before adding leek, turnips in disguise, celery, herbs, carrots, and potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.


Add some good white wine.  To tell, take a swig to see if you like it, if so, add some to the pot (maybe 2/3 cup?). If not, throw it out and then ask yourself, why do I have white wine I don't like?


Cook about 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, and turn up the heat on the pan. Add corn and cabbage. Cook another 10 minutes, until potatoes are done...add salt and pepper to taste.


Next time, I'll make a thickener, but I ran out of time...the guys were ready to eat...

I served it with some nice cheese, but I can't remember the name (I ate it all).  [My] father sprinkled parmesan on his soup (what else is new).  [My youngest brother] had some warm whole wheat w/flax bread and a lot of butter (that's [my grandmother's] side).
----


So there you have it.  I'll define, "some," as much as I can.  Some is relative to the number of people you are cooking for and what you have available.  Maybe 1 or 2 stalks of celery, carrots, or large potatoes. 6 small? Maybe 1 cup of corn. Whatever.... whatever you feel like chopping and feel like eating. That's how I do it.


Stayed tuned for the photo....





Comments

Popular Posts