Ricotta

We went on vacation for a few weeks, and while we were gone, the sell by date on our milk passed.

I didn't want to throw the milk out, so I researched options- and found a recipe for Ricotta. I thought that would go perfect with the homemade gnocchi!  And it is sooo simple!

Ricotta:
Soured milk (1 quart)
salt (1 t)
lemon juice or white vinegar (3 T)

Heat the milk with the salt over medium-high heat, until it is steamy and surface starts to thicken.

Remove it from the heat, and add lemon juice/vinegar. Let it stand for 5 minutes.

Set up a strainer or colander over a bowl with cheese cloth or a thin dish towel. Pour the milk into the cloth, and let sit (1 hour for soft ricotta and 2+ for harder cheese for stuffed pasta).

Here is the amount of cheese (1 cup) made from about 2 quarts of milk.

I also saved the whey that is left over- that I will use for breads this week.

Comments

Popular Posts