Wednesday, February 8, 2012
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard 3/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons brown sugar
ground black pepper to taste
1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids. 2. Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Labels: Sloppy Joe
Sunday, February 5, 2012
After a trip to the gym, I needed a little protein snack. I decided to check out a new tuna salad recipe!
- 1 (7 ounce) can white tuna, drained and flaked
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish (I didn't have it... next time!)
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder or dried minced onion flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed (I didnt have it- I added fennel seed and celery seed instead- I might leave out the fennel next time... it grew on me though.)
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and onion powder.
- Season with curry powder, parsley, and garlic powder.
- Mix well and serve with crackers or on a sandwich.
Labels: tuna salad
With the SuperBowl on today, and my friends putting together our typical Sunday sports dinner, I decided to try a new Scalloped Potatoes recipe that could balance a few of the other calories we will be in taking at the party!
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used olive oil mayo- 40 calories a T)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. (I used the Cuisinart to slice both- can I say AMAZING?!)
- In a saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add broth, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours or until tender.
Labels: scalloped potatoes