Turkey Leftovers Soup

Lots of people have asked me over the last few months if I enjoy the holidays since they are surrounded by food, and therefore, lots of cooking.  To tell you the truth, that's why I take a holiday from cooking at the holidays- everyone ELSE is cooking!!!  I take advantage of all the meals prepared by others, and savor the moments when I get to try someone else's cooking.

But, every holiday must come to an end.  Considering I haven't cooked in forever outside of a microwave (and I have nothing worthy to report on, except for Chicken Tikki Masala from Trader Joe's), I decided it was time to end the "vacation" and help MK with a soup made from leftover Christmas turkey. 

To be 100% honest, I was starving and wanted to eat as soon as possible. (Plus, she made the stock ahead of time, so all the hard work was really over...)

She showed me her recipe binder, and this November 1987 recipe from Redbook written by Jane and Michael Stern (who have their own traveling food blog and weekly stint on NPR's Splendid Table).  I tried googling this recipe to share it with all of you, but couldn't find it.  I immediately emailed Jane and Michael, and informed them that my web search yielded no efforts, and I hoped they were still making this great soup!

So, here it is: Jane & Michael Stern's Old-Fashioned Homemade Turkey Soup from Redbook, November 1987:

To make stock:
Meaty carcass and skin from turkey
3 ribs of celery
3 carrots
2 large onions
black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 t salt

Cut meat of carcass, and save for soup.  Place carcass in large pot, and break it up so it fits. Add skin, carrots, celery, onions, pepper, bay leaves and salt, and 12-15 cups of water to cover.  Boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 4 hours covered. Stir occassionally. 

Cool broth, drain in colander, refridgerate until cool.  Discard all bones and vegetables.  Once cool, skim off the fat.
Soup:
1/4 c butter
3 ribs of celery
3 carrots
2 onions
2 zucchihi
2 cloves garlic
1/4 t rosemary
1/4 t thyme
1/2 c angel hair pasta (which is a 1/4 of a box, in my mind)
3 c cooked turkey meat
1/2 c parsley
S&P

In a saucepan (maybe a Le Creuset), add butter, and diced celery, carrots, onions, zucchini, garlic, and herbs, to cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Add 8 cups of broth, and bring to a boil.  Add noodles, and reduce to low. Simmer covered for 15 minutes and add turkey meat and parsley and cook for 3 more minutes.  Add S&P.

To be honest, I may never make the stock, so I'll just use cooked chicken and bouillion if/when I make this again!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My favorite was part was: "Cut meat of carcass, and save for soup."

Popular Posts