Grandmom's Pasta Sauce

...it not meant to be made with ground turkey. It was missing some fat.... BUTTER!

My friend JD came over for dinner on Monday, to celebrate President's Day... and I had just gotten home from ShopRite.  I decided to make the pasta sauce from scratch again, as I was making it 6 times a week, and then stopped.

This was the first time for the ground turkey. Next time, I'll stick to the ground beef variations, but here is the recipe again:

2 cloves of garlic
1 diced onion
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lb of ground beef
5 diced tomatoes, about 2 1/2 cups (could also use canned)
1 can of tomato paste
5 drops of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of sugar, basil, and oregano
2 bay leaves
S&P


Saute the garlic and onion in the oil for about 8 minutes. Add the ground meat.  If using real meat, drain off some of the fat, and keep it on reserve if you need to add more.  Brown the meat. Add the tomatoes and spices, and let simmer for 30 minutes.


I also made asparagus. JD said she had the best asparagus ever that weekend, so dang.... these gotta be good. I trimmed the ends, and added them to a saute pan. I drizzled olive oil over the top, and then added two pats of butter and 3 cloves of garlic (I like garlic... mmm, and butter). I then squeezed half a lemon over the top, and sauteed with the lid on for just a few minutes. I use a glass lid, so I can tell when the asparagus get bright and green they are done. (A little yellow, and they are over cooked.) Sprinkle with S&P.


SO, dinner was served... the meat sauce needed salt. Actually, as I said, it needed fat, but it definitely was missing a bit of flavor having gone with the turkey. Ah well, we cook and learn. JD, however, did say that the asparagus were good. She even might have mentioned that they were better than the asparagus deemed the best ever. Check that out.

We joked that my single lady friend would be put on a meal plan, like in a college dining hall. Either bringing wine to cover her meal, or even possibly a flat rate :) Looking forward to seeing you for dinner Sunday, JD!

Comments

Popular Posts