The Grampa Shop

I was quite looking forward to Friday night, as we were invited over to WA and EY's for dinner.  WA lives in N. Liberties, in a cute house with lots of character, and is the wonderful location and shooting location for Grampa Shop. Let's just say, there is a Caribou in the dining room. On the floor. Staring up at the antelope on the wall.  (Ok... the whole house isn't taxidermy, that's it. But, it just was impressive, to be honest.) The backyard was set-up was divine-- small lights and candles lit the patio and the table with a very romantic glow.  The vines and potted plants, and the rustic collection of items around, added a very European flair to the space.

I must fast-forward to the food!  After indulging in some wine as other guests arrived, the first course was served with a sparkling RED that I have to mention now so I don't forget. The wine was a gift to Wayne from his brother, a 2009 Francesco Vezzelli Lambrusco Graparoosa di Castelvetro "Rive dei Ciliegi" from Moore Brothers.  It was the most unique sparkling I've ever had, and I look forward to the next trip to MB for a bottle (and it seems to be $16)!

The food was definitely something to write about.  The first course included lightly fried calamari, squid, little fish, scallops, shrimp, and probably other sea creatures that I don't remember but were marvelous! A nice homemade aioili to accompany.

The main course was a snapper WA grilled up-- the grill is a converted fireplace from a skeleton of an old carriage house at the back of his yard.  The fish was intended to be added to rice papers, diced veggies and herbs, and a great little vinaigrette.  I certainly got better at rolling by wrap number two, but it was tasty.  Then, we all noticed the sliced steak on the table too- and I added that to my second, or was it third, wrap.

The wine kept following and we all chatted about things from flower arrangements to movies that I've never heard, let along seen.  Then it was time for dessert, diced summer fruit and berries with vanilla ice cream. Perfect end to the evening. At 1am.  

Comments

Zoe said…
Love Lambrusco--it hails from the Emilia Romagna region of Italy. I'll have to check that one out because when it's good, it's good, but when it's bad, it's realllly bad.

Popular Posts