Tastes like pizza!

Just seeing these two photos together made me not want to write anything, but just leave the pictures to tell the story.

However, this photo is a little misleading. My plate looks like this every night.  JW says I eat like a pig. I like food, what can I say?!

So, today's dinner seemed like fate.  Yesterday we lost our power at 3:30am (I know because it made the security alarm go off and I woke up in a panic).  We got a cooler and ice and moved everything from the fridge to the cooler.  Last night for dinner, we ate anything that NEEDED to be eaten.  By candlelight, no less.  Prepared and eaten.  The meal consisted of a pork tenderloin pan seared, and then a bunch of veggies taking up space: cauliflower blanched with some cheddar cheese and then blanched and sauteed carrots and turnips with a dash of balsamic vinegar.

Tonight, I already had defrosting chicken at home, so when I go an email from allrecipes.com titled, "Greek Penne and Chicken." I knew it could be tonight's dinner.  JW loves Greek food. Almost as much as pizza.

Seemed like an easy enough venture, and I could slip into the corner store to replace the milk, and grab some feta cheese, tomatoes, and a green veggie.

I boiled salted water for the pasta, prepped a pot with an inch of water for the broccoli, and then started on the chicken.  It wasn't defrosted at all!!! The ice in the cooler kept it perfectly frozen.  So that set me back a little, but I used some water, and then sliced it enough and through it in the pan with the garlic and onion.

Here's the rest of the recipe...


Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts in water (I used capers, because that is what I had, JW was sad we didnt have artichoke hearts- to be honest, I love fresh artichoke hearts so much, I don't think I can eat one out of a can... I blame the butter my mom served me)
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook penne pasta until al dente. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat melt butter, add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add chopped chicken and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes.
  3. Reduce heat to medium- low. Drain and chop artichoke hearts and add them, chopped tomato, feta cheese, fresh parsley, lemon juice, dried oregano, and drained penne pasta to the large skillet. Cook until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  4. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 685 | Total Fat: 13.2g | Cholesterol: 94mg

As soon as JW took a bite, he said, "Tastes like pizza!"  When we were all finished, after he told me twice that I don't have to "yell" when telling a story, he told me that I can "add this dish to the queue."  I think he meant the rotation, but either way, don't show JW the calories on this dish, he might take back what he said...

Comments

Popular Posts