Some Apartment Therapy: Cabbage Soup and Cheddar and Leek Muffins

A few months ago, JW sent me a link on ApartmentTherapy.com.  They were giving away a new washer and dryer if you entered to win. So I did.  As I was filling it out, it asked if you wanted to receive ApartmentTherapy.com updates.  I thought about it for a minute... usually I don't give it one second, but the website has interesting decorating things, and since we are about to renovate or NYC apartment sized kitchen, I figured it couldn't hurt.

Then, I started to notice that occasionally they would send me information about a blog called The Kitchn.  Sara, the blogger, sent me a recipe for Cheddar and Leek Muffins that caught my attention. Mainly because I already had cheddar and leeks in my possession. Random, I know.

I don't typically want to eat muffins for dinner, but the recipe just seemed like a perfect use for those ingredients, the leeks of which came from the CSA.  The muffins also seemed pretty hearty, using whole wheat and corn flour as well as honey.

Here is the recipe with my comments, feel free to click the link for better photos and the original recipe:


Cheddar and Leek Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup corn flour (I pulsed cornmeal in the Cuisinart)
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (I mixed regular milk and vinegar together)
7 tablespoons melted butter, divided (again, maybe too much butter)
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/4 cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only, divided
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking papers or 5-inch squares of parchment. (Sara definitely is cuter with the parchment, but I melted the butter in the muffin tin, since I don't have a microwave, so they were plenty greased and didn't stick at all.)
In the stand mixer, beat the eggs, "buttermilk", 5 tablespoons of the melted butter, and honey.
Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl. (I don't sift.) (I also don't use separate bowls, so I moved this step here instead of first.)
Make a well in the dry ingredients and incorporate the wet ingredients. (no need for a well, I just dumped) Stir until smooth. Stir in the cheese and 1 cup leeks.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, filling each about three quarters full. (or more...) Top each muffin with a few of the remaining leek rings and a spoonful of the remaining melted butter.
Bake 20-25 minutes, or until tops just begin to brown.


They were exactly right for dinner, served up with some delightful cabbage soup.  I had the other half of the cabbage from the night before (it's amazing that my camera makes both meals look IDENTICAL!).

The soup, seems very basic and unassuming.  Well, it is, but somehow flavorful.


Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 quarts water
  • 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
  • 1/2 head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, drained and diced (I didnt have canned tomatoes, but I had two fresh tomatoes that I diced.)

Directions

  1. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in water, bouillon, salt, and pepper. (I think I quadrupled the pepper, and it was fantastic!!!) Bring to a boil, then stir in cabbage. Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 82 | Total Fat: 5.2g | Cholesterol: < 1mg

These 82 calories must be why the cabbage soup diet is popular. It was very filling and it was enjoyable.  :) It certainly would cure my Chinese food cravings...

Comments

Popular Posts