Pork with Butternut squash and leek risotto

 Darn. I already wrote this blog. My laptop then ran out of power, and I don't have my power cord. Darn.

Well, here it goes again. This dinner was a hit- JW's favorite in 2011!  The pork was easy. I bought a tenderloin pre-marinated at Wegman's, and cooked it according to the directions.

The risotto came from Bon Appetit magazine (JV, my Site Manager, gave me for Christmas- knows me too well!). I made a few adjustments for a variety of reasons, but here is my version:

1.5 T olive oil
2 c butternut squash, cubed
1.5 c leeks
1/2 T thyme
1 c arborio rice
1/2 c white wine
3 c broth
1/3 c Parmesan cheese

Peeling the squash is a pain, but I find it faster than roasting and then scooping. So I use a combination of a veggie peeler and a pairing knife. My cubes were a variety of sizes, and the smaller ones were more enjoyable.  (I also found that my dull chef's knife cut this 100 times easier than my brand new cook's knife. I'm still investigating...)

Heat 1 T oil and saute squash about 5 minutes. Remove squash from pan.

Add rest of oil and saute leeks over medium heat for 5 minutes, tender not brown. Add rice and coat in oil.  After 1 minute, add wine. Once rice has absorbed wine, add 1/2 cup of broth at a time, waiting for rice to absorb liquid before adding more. Stirring often, about 15 minutes.

Return squash to pan and cook about 10 more minutes. Add Parmesan cheese and S&P.

Comments

Popular Posts