Tomato soup for the snow


I had to work on Saturday, and by the time I walked home it had snowed several inches. I was craving something to warm me up!

I wanted melted cheese. I thought about French Onion soup, but I didn't have enough onion. But, grilled cheese and tomato soup would be ideal. I never made tomato soup from scratch before, so I logged onto allrecipes.com while I walked, and looked for the soup that was top rated and most reviewers. Miraculously, I had every ingredient at home!

Ingredients

1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup heavy cream

Directions

In a large stock pot mix tomatoes, chicken broth, butter, sugar, onion and baking soda. Simmer for 1 hour.

Slowly heat cream until hot. You can also do this in a regular saucepan over low heat, but watch it carefully so that the cream does not scorch! OR use a double boiler. Once heated through add to tomato soup and serve.

For the grilled cheese, I only had Taleggio cheese (a washed rind, Italian cow's milk cheese).  I attempted to slice it, but it was too soft, so it was cheese piles. I put these cheese piles onto pumpernickel bread, and added to a lightly buttered pan.  I put the two bottom slices and cheese in the pan. I then added the top slice for mine, and some tomato and top slice for JW.  Once it began to smoke just slightly, I put a piece of butter on each top slice and flipped the sandwiches. I turned the sandwiches in the pan to help coat the whole bread with butter.

I ate mine without a spoon, but dunked the sandwiches a million times. It was sooooo good. We really enjoyed the soup, and will make it again, for sure. JW even asked "what'd I do to deserve this?"

Comments

Popular Posts