Collards



My friend DSG made some killer greens for the coming of the end of the world, and when that didn't happen, I decided to try again. (I did it last week and dumped 1/2 a cup of sugar in my accident... that's what I get for trying to hand pout 1 T out of a HUGE jar.)

So, these collard greens, are actually half collards and half dandelion-- it's what was in the CSA. Dandelion is SUPER BITER, so you HAVE to cook those bad boys down. I mean, they are just plain gross raw. Mixed with all these goodies for the right amount of time, and you can't even tell!

Yanked the recipe base from AllRecipes.com (are you surprised at this point?):

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped (or in my case, 1/2 collards and 1/2 dandelion)
  • 2 smoked ham hocks (or in my case, 3 hot Italian sausages)
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth (or in my case again, 2 beef bouillon cubes and no liquid- see next)
  • 21 fluid ounces water (yeah, no way I used almost 3 cups... but maybe...)
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar (ok, I didn't follow this recipe at all- I used apple cider)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place the collard greens and ham hocks in a large pot. (or if using sausage, brown the sausage first, then add greens) Mix in the broth, water, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

Comments

Anonymous said…
We eat dandelions raw and call'em chickoree.

Popular Posts