20 minutes to marinade:
Slice the lamb in 3" by 1/2" strips.
Slice an onion in long strips. (I used green onions from the CSA)
Put in a bowl with:
1/4 c olive oil,
3 T lemon juice,
1 T dried oregano,
salt and pepper.
Add it to a hot grill pan or griddle, and cook for 10 minutes or until done.
While the meat marinaded, I made hummus and tzatziki.
Hummus- adapted from @B'sT:
1 can chick peas, drained
3/4 t salt (I only read that to be 1/4 until now, I agree 3/4)
1 garlic clove (or garlic powder)
3 T tahini
1/4 c lemon juice
I also added, 2-3T of water, and 1-2 T of olive oil. Puree in food processor.
But actually, I made the hummus after the tzatziki because the cucumber cleaned out easier, and needed to chill longer. So, make the hummus second.
- 1 cucumbers - peeled, seeded, and quartered (I forgot to "de-seed")
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place quartered cucumbers in a small colander and sprinkle evenly with salt. Allow to drain 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels and chop coarsely in food processor. Drain cucumber in colander for an additional 30 minutes. (Ok- what I really did, was sprinkle with salt, wait 5 minutes- put in food processor- poured into a paper towel in a bowl- poured off liquid- added another paper towel- and squeezed the HECK out of it. worked like a charm- seeds and all)
- Stir cucumber puree with garlic, lemon juice, yogurt, and vinegar. Blend well. Adjust vinegar and salt to taste. Pour in olive oil and blend until ingredients are well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.