Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Taco Salad with Fresh Lettuce

JW swears to his co-workers that the only reason I make taco salad is so that I can hide wilting (or he says "rotting") lettuce and make him eat it.

So tonight, for the record, I made taco salad without questionable salad greens.

Me as a Bean Dip... obviously the focal point of the party
Not only is this post to state this fact for the record, it is also to share the W family recipe for bean dip.  Frequently requested, and truly the only reason I get invited to parties.  People even say so.  (And, for a fact, I have been tagged in photos on Facebook where my bean dip has appeared, and not me...)

So for my taco salad, I begin with my bean dip recipe, and instead of a pie dish, I pile it high on top of lettuce and tortilla chips.  Each time I may add avocado, or fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, or whatever else is in the fridge that might be wilting and I can pass off in a heap.  Don't tell JW.

~~~
W Famous Bean Dip: (im making up the portions because i do this so much- feel free to improvise- you honestly cant go wrong.  JW one time added butter to the beans- unnecessary- but what are you going to do?)

1 can refried beans (i like fat free or vegetarian- they taste the same!)
1 can black beans (drained)
dash of the following garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cayenne, paprika, chili powder --- (or use 1 tablespoon taco seasonings) BUT- heavy on the cumin! (I dust the whole pan of beans)
4 oz sour cream (i like light sour cream- tastes the same!)
8 oz salsa (i like medium heat- its a crowd-pleaser)
6 oz shredded cheese (I like a mixture- usually just easier to buy a taco or mexican mixed bag- but cheaper to grate your own Monterrey or Colby Jack)

Combine refried beans and black beans in a saute pan.

Warm in pan mixed with a dash of the spices.

Layer in beans in a pie dish.
Layer sour cream on top.
Pour on salsa and shake dish to spread evenly.
Layer shredded  cheese on top.

Microwave for 5 minutes or until melted. Or 350° oven for 10 minutes.
~~~

The trick to taco salad, however, is to put everything on the plate, top with cheese, THEN the hot beans, THEN more cheese and sour cream. Duh.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Yay! The secret is out!

Molly said...

Its so easy to make and definitely the hit of any party!