Vegetarians come for Chili and Phillie...s.

Since we have corny cable and only get certain channels in HD, we can't have people over to watch the Phillies except for certain postseason games. ie terrible Joe Buck and Fox.

So, we hosted our friends on Wednesday to watch a nerve-racking game against the Giants.  Since many of our friends are vegetarian, I always opt for veggie chili!

W's Veggie Chili:
1 T olive oil
Veggie crumble (normally like Morning Star, but this time I got Gimme Lean "sausage")- optional
diced carrots
diced celery
diced onion
diced garlic
Added to a pot to cook
cans of beans: 2 cans red kidney and 2 cans black. I also would have liked 2 cans of dark red kidney, but I forgot.
1 large can of tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
then add 4 cups of stock, using it to rinse out the tomato cans into the pot

bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper


I cooked a pot of brown rice, and served the chili over the rice with sour cream mixed with greek yogurt and some cheese.


I also made 2 pizzas!  The crust was finally PERFECT on the onion and green pepper.  The toppings were better on the spinach, tomato, ricotta, but the crust was a little raw still :(

So- I monitored the pizzas this time, using TJs dough for around 20 minutes.  I left it out to room temperature for 40  minutes or so and it stretch a LITTLE easier.  Sprinkled cornmeal on the pan, Then laid down the dough.  Spread 1/4c of sauce, garlic powder and oregano.  Then I put on the spinach and 1 chopped tomato.  Then added piles of ricotta and sprinkled on shredded mozzarella.  Sprinkled on some fresh basil.

For the other, I did the same dough and sauce, but added the shredded mozzarella and then chopped green pepper and onion.  Keep checking it so the crust is brown, but not burnt.  Still fluffy on top :)

Comments

Popular Posts