Thursday, October 7, 2010

Salmon cakes and the farm share

The dinner, before the apple crisp, consisted of salmon cakes, collard greens, green beans, baked beans, and whole grains.

To make salmon cakes, I keep a can of bubble bee salmon in the cabinet (I know, terrible, but it makes for a pantry meal!)  I drain off the liquids for the cat, and pour the meat into a bowl.  I pull out the bones and put them in the trash.  I feel around in the meat to make sure I got them all (just the big hard ones, the little ones melt away).

I mixed in:
1 egg
2 T mayo
1/4 c bread crumbs (or crushed crackers)
chopped parsley
Oregano, S&P
1/4c chopped onion

I mix it all up, while I heat the grill pan with olive oil spray.  Partisan the mix into 4 parts.  Form each section into a patty.  When the pan is hot, lay the patties into the pan and flatten slightly. Let brown and then flip to do the same.

For the collards, I added olive oil, garlic, and 1/4c onion to a saute pan.  I chopped the greens and sauteed it all together.  Added a lid to help it wilt.  Added butter, S&P, and then some apple cider vinegar.  Took off the lid to let it saute a little longer.  Good.....

1 comment:

hellen said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I was actually planning on making this for dinner tonight, but I didn't feel like googling a recipe and now I don't have to!