Sunday Scalloped Potatoes for Shane and DSG

For Phillies Sunday night baseball, we were going to CH's house for smoked ribs. Yum!

So, I wanted to make mashed potatoes.  Figured it was savory, and FAST!

JW and I spent the day running errands, hanging out at Lowe's (waiting for someone to give us a new bathroom), hanging hooks, and laying carpet tiles.

I get this text message from DSG, "Yo W! You should make scalloped potatoes :)". Really?! Are you kidding me?!  I don't want to do that.  I waited 3 1/2 hours before replying, "For you.... but they're annoying".  "Yes they are :)"

Great. Now, what was going to take 10 minutes, is now 35 minutes of hard labor and 1.5 hours in the oven. Better get started.  I peeled like 9 potatoes, and thinly sliced them. I layered them in a 13x9 pan, slightly layering.  Then, I realized, I forgot to add butter and spices in between layers.  So I slathered on nutmeg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and then poured on several cups of milk, drizzle of olive oil and 3 T of butter cubed.  I reapplied the spices, as they (hopefully), slid into the cracks.

I added foil, and baked for an hour and 15 minutes.  I took it out because the bubbling over started burning on the oven floor.  It was soooo liquidy I took a measuring cup and poured of 3/4 of the milk and thought it was still runny, and not very appetizing.  I sprinkled tons of parmesan cheese on top and threw back in the oven.  When JW was ready to go, I took it out and reapplied foil and carted it across town.

We got to the party and LR had brownies that needed to bake, so I threw in the potatoes too.  When they came out, they seemed a lot less runny.  After checking out other online photos, I think other recipes would have been better, this one, was just too boring! Not enough butter, no onion, not enough garlic, no cheese. I mean come on. Stupid Epicurious...

This recipe would have been better:  http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/scalloped_potatoes/



Or why didn't I stick to All Recipes.com? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Three-Cheese-Garlic-Scalloped-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

Oh well, all my friends thought it was ok. I ate three servings. Yay Phils!

Comments

Popular Posts