Mushroom Meat Loaf
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 slices)
1 pound mushrooms
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons red wine
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (I used oatmeal)
5/8 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces ground sirloin (92% lean); 4 ounces ground turkey
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/8 cup lower-sodium ketchup
1/8 cup mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place half of mushrooms in a food processor; process until minced. Place minced mushrooms in a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining mushrooms. (this is important- dont try to do it in one batch like I did- you make mushroom water.)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms; cook 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in thyme. Cool slightly.
- Combine mushroom mixture, panko/oatmeal, and next 4 ingredients (through egg), mixing until well combined.
- Shape mixture into a 7x3 inch free-form loaf on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat with some mustard and ketchup.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°.
- Remove from oven; brush with remaining ketchup and mustard. Cut into 8 slices.
|It looks like meat...|