Buffalo Chicken Wrap

After our Bootcamp class, I was speaking with my friend ES (as we ran to transit options) about what to make for dinner. I was telling her about how I was resitting the urge/need to go the grocery store and just continue to make food from the items in the house--- which gets to be a challenge since the last time I bought anything was $18 worth of snacks when AG and DP were here 2 weeks ago.

So, I rattled off a few things I did have, and ES mentioned making Buffalo Chicken Wrap she had seen in Fitness Magazine. Brilliant. I looked at buffalo chicken options on other websites, and they were about 3 times the calories as ES's version- so I made hers:

Servings: 4 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Total: 35 mins
Ingredients
2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot (I combined Frank's and Crystal from JW's collection)
3 tablespoons white vinegar, divided
1/4 teaspoon  cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons  extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound  chicken tenders (I used a 10oz can of chicken, it's what I had)
2 tablespoons  reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons  nonfat plain yogurt
  Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/4 cup  crumbled blue cheese
4   8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup  shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup  sliced celery (I had to throw out my celery, it was old...)
1   large tomato, diced
 
Directions
1. Whisk hot pepper sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders; cook until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add to the bowl with the hot sauce; toss to coat well. (I didn't have to cook the chicken, so I added the sauce to the canned chicken and microwaved it for 30 seconds, then added the next ingredients too it. My only issue was that I didn't drain the chicken enough, and it was a bit runny... next time- real chicken!)
3. Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, pepper and the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar in a small bowl. Stir in blue cheese.
4. To assemble wraps: Lay a tortilla on a work surface or plate (I first heated it over the rill pan to get them warm from the fridge). Spread with 1 tablespoon blue cheese sauce and top with one-fourth of the chicken, lettuce, celery and tomato. Drizzle with some of the hot sauce remaining in the bowl and roll into a wrap sandwich. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. 
 
PS the photo is from the website, I served mine with a side of sliced sweet potatoes, cooked in butter (I ran out of olive oil...) and a dash of salt.
 
JW really enjoyed this dish, and said that we could ABSOLUTELY have it again.  Maybe next time I'll add more hot sauce to his, make it a little less runny,and maybe more bleu cheese. I couldn't get enough.
 
Nutrition Facts
Calories 275, Total Fat 8 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 756 mg, Carbohydrate 29 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 24 g, Potassium 266 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 20%. Exchanges: Starch 1.5,Vegetable 1,Lean Meat 3,Fat 0.5.

Here is the 600 calorie version from Allrecipes.com.

Comments

Popular Posts